Cora Fund

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Time to raise funds... Cora needs surgery :(

Cora was having a rough time when I last posted and it got worse. Cora's stump developed a seroma (fluid build up)and then it became infected. So Monday it was off the vet. She wouldn't let me put the halter on her. She didn't want to walk. She didn't want to be held. She was in so much pain and miserable and it was a very rough experience.
I got Cora calmed down and carried her into the vet.  The vets had to put Cora under anesthesia and clean the wounds and suture and put in a drain. It turns out you shouldn't leave a stump on a front leg. That's the quicker way to amputate so when Cora was a stray at a shelter that's what they did. The reason you don't leave a stump is there's not enough tissue to protect it if you fall., so injuries like Cora's can occur.
Two days later we went back to the vet. Cora keeps aggravating the injury and she pulled the drain out. The vet and I are both very worried that it's not going to heal because she keeps banging it. And even if it does heal there's a good chance that Cora would go through this again in the future.
So, the best long term solution for Cora is surgery. She needs to have her stump amputated. I am going to begin some serious fund raising. The vet said it  would cost about $2,000.00. I'll spend a day or two thinking about this, but I don't want to wait to long. I watch Cora fall and bump that  stump over and over. I hear her cries. I don't want her to deal with this pain longer than she has to.

No comments:

Post a Comment