Cora Fund

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cora is Sweet?

When people see pictures of Cora, they talk about how sweet she seems. I always laugh. Cora has her tender moments, but not many and mostly when she's asleep. When Cora is awake and in full play mode she's rather rowdy and loud.  When I'm trying to handle her, she is often mad and frustrated. None of this is sweet. And the truth is, I've been getting bit. I understand, she gets scared and frustrated. She feels threatened. I get all that, but I still need to handle her. I need to help lead her to the door to go out or in. I need to take her halter on and off.

The good news is, after lots of searching and dead ends, I've found a behaviorist. She got her degree in psychology and then in veterinary medicine and she understands how medical issues and disabilities impact behavior. So, we have an appointment on Friday.

And in spite of the biting, I still love Cora and hold out hope. Yesterday, while in town, we walked around the block. Several times she broke into a run!!! Other times she stopped suddenly and refused to move, nose to the ground. She is a puppy after all.

And now that the predisone has stopped the horrible itchiness she was having, she's actually sort of sweet.  She's a calmer and happier girl when she's not miserable. Soon she and I will be learning new ways to make her life manageable and safer for everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment