Cora Fund

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Thoughts about Kindness and Blessings


Cora the day I brought her home.

Its one week since Cora’s amputation. Today hasn’t been as good a day for Cora, but she’s come so far in a short time. I'm going to get all philosophical because that's what happens when I'm tired. There are people who question putting all this effort into a dog (that dreaded statement “It's just a dog”), especially one with all her issues. What I've discovered dealing with her and the other needy critters is that she's not just a dog. She's a living being and kindness and care given to her is kindness and care being put into this world. I do believe, and have believed for a long time, that good deeds grow and spread. People see how anger and violence and stuff like that spreads because it's so visible. People don't always see the goodness because it doesn't scream out for attention because goodness isn't always visible.

I've always been a bit idealistic I guess. I have imagined myself as an activist, trying to change the world but
Cora happy in our yard
somewhere along the way I realized I'm more of a hobbit. I'm not really meant for big things, but I know how to celebrate life. I am glad I am doing good things for Cora and it hasn't been an easy path but for me it's so worth it. I got to give her tummy rubs a couple days ago and I felt like I'd been given a huge gift. This puppy who always guarded her stomach and couldn't stand touch, was sprawled out letting me rub her most vulnerable place. The pain that made her so defensive is healing finally. I'm being the gift of having nothing taken for granted. I still get excited when I see her tail wag, because it wasn't long ago she never wagged her tail. Maybe it's a blessing what I do for Cora but I think it's more I'm a part of a blessing -this opportunity to beat the odds, to hope and rejoice in every step, to feel the love, dedication and determination. I'm glad I can follow this path and am delighted when others can gain from Cora's journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment